The education division is a prominent part of the public health profession. This book, Advancing Professional Development Through CPE in Public Health, focuses on educating individuals and communities to promote health and prevent disease. The educators are drawn from a diverse range of disciplines and defined as professionally prepared individuals who serve in a variety of roles using appropriate educational strategies and methods to facilitate the development of policies, procedures, interventions, and systems conducive to the health of individuals.This unique volume in the Global Science Education Series describes some of the challenges faced by this profession in helping the audience to understand public health and solve health issues.
Title: Advancing Professional Development Through CPE in Public Health Author(s): Ira Nurmala; Yashwant Pathak Publisher: CRC Press Year: 2020 ISBN: 0367236362,9780367236366
- This book, Advancing Professional Development Through CPE in Public Health, aids researchers in designing an evaluation study in Continuing Professional Education for health professions and related fields Presents data on how public health practice comprises of individuals working together toward promoting population health.
- Covers continuing professional education in the US and how it can be adopted globally
- Discusses the Kirkpatrick’s four-level evaluation model at length Demonstrates how questionnaires are preferable in evaluating CPE programs due to their cost effectiveness and being user friendly.
Content Highlights: Advancing Professional Development Through CPE in Public Health
Chapter 1: Public Health Education in the United States
This chapter discuss about introduction to public health education in the United States, responsibilities and competencies required for public health educators along with their area of responsibilities. The book mainly discuss needs, assets and capacity assessment, planning health education, implement and evaluate health education, administering and managing health education, serving as resource person and advocacy, as major area of responsibilities. This unit also talks about competency statements for Public Health workers in the United States and Public Health System in the United States Federal Government.
Chapter 2: Continuing Education in Public Health in the united States
You will find historical perspective of CPE in the United States and role of APHA in it. It also discusses the current and past programs and initiatives. Moreover, it also talks about professional development through online approach. In addition, it talks about policies and strategies for continuing education. Further, it talks about history and current status of public health education.
Chapter 3: Formal and Informal Learning in CPE in Public Health
This chapter talks about status and challenges of formal and informal learning in CPE in Public Health.
Chapter 4: Learning Organization for Professional Development
Similarly, chapter 4 describes organizational culture and environment and its dynamic nature of learning for professional development. It starts with team formation, creating effective organization by working on organizational behaviour. Further, it explains organizational culture and dimensions of organizational learning and its impacts on professional development.
Chapter 5: Lesson learned from the US and Concept of Public Health in Indonesia
The is the last chapter of this book and summarizes the lessons learnt in the US and explains concept of public health in Indonesia. Importantly, it explains competencies in public health professionals in terms of following dimensions:
- Ability to Conduct Analysis and Assessment Indicators
- Ability to Plan and Develop Health Policies (Policy Development and Program Planning)
- Ability to Communicate (Communication Skills)
- Ability to Understand Local Culture (Cultural Competency/Local Wisdom)
- Ability to Empower the Community (Community Dimensions of Practice
- Understand the Basics of Public Health Sciences
- Ability to Plan and Manage Funding Sources (Financial Planning and Management)
- Ability to Lead and Think Systems (Leadership and Systems Thinking/Total System)
This chapter ends with competency test for public health professionals and professional public health ethics in the United States.
Read about competency test for public health professional in Nepal and general code of ethics for such professionals.